Launching and landing the kite is the most dangerous part of kitesurfing. Learning to do the safe way with a professional school is essential. As often as possible, you have to be in the water to perform this action. If something go wrong, it’s better to be dragged in the water than on the beach. As a beginner or intermediate kite surfer, you will need the help of an assistant to land or launch your kite.
To launch a kite safely, you must find the right angle to the wind. If the kite is positioned too far downwind, it will launch with power and may result in an accident. If the kite is positioned too far upwind, it wind launch without tension, the kite will fly backward in the power zone.
Here the few steps to make sure you launch your kite safely:
· Once your kite is set up, check again your equipment to make sure le lines are not twister, all connected, and your chicken loop properly closed.
· Connect your leash, and check around you for spot assessment (wind ok, no obstacle).
· You can then connect your chicken loop, place the donkey dick, and start walking to the edge of the window (90degrees to the wind)
· Ask your assistant to put the kite in the right position for launching. The inside of the kite facing you, your assistant holds the kite in a C or D position, by the leading edge. In the meantime, make sure your kitesurfing lines are clear, and your position to the wind prefect (not too upwind, not too downwind)
· Once you are ready, you can give your assistant the signal to let go off the kite (thumb up). With your bar, start steering slowly your kite to bring it to 11 or 2 o’clock. Make sure the kite follow the edge of the window. Do pull to much on your bar, just enough to have a bit of tension on your back lines.
Here the few steps to make sure you land your kite safely:
· When you want to land your kite, you need to find an assistant on the beach, the closer to the water. Let him know you want to land by putting your hand on the head. This is the international landing signal.
· With little tension in your line, fly your kite slowly to your assistant, following the edge of the window. Once again, you want to avoid the power zone.
· Once the assistant grab the kite, walk toward him, take your kite and secure it by flipping the kite, leading edge upwind, and put some sans on the kite.
More information on Kitesurfing lessons program